- Bernoff, Josh (2016). Writing without bullshit. HarperBusiness.
- Elbow, Peter (1981). Writing with power. Oxford University Press.
- Glasman-Deal, Hilary (2010). Science research writing for non-native speakers of English. Imperial College Press.
- Silvia, Paul J. (2015). Write it up: Practical strategies for writing and publishing journal articles. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/14470-000.
- Silvia, Paul J. (2007). How to write a lot : a practical guide to productive academic writing. Washington, DC:American Psychological Association.
- Strunk W. Jr. & White E.B. (1918/1999). The Elements of Style. Freely available online.
[book on business writing but also useful for academic writers who want to write more clearly and to the point]
[useful ideas for the writing process from the godfather of freewriting]
[on writing research articles; combines well with the following book]
[on writing research articles]
[must-read for everyone — basic rules of language usage and text composition]
- Plaxco, K. W. (2010). The art of writing science. Protein Science, 19(12), 2261-2266.
- Gopen, G. D., & Swan, J. A. (1990). The science of scientific writing. American Scientist, 78(6), 550-558.
[general overview, best-practice example for paragraph structure]
[on sentence structure]