WriteUp Your Paper is an intense practical course where participants prepare, write and revise a complete research article manuscript and get it ready for publication.
The course provides:
- all the relevant information from how to create a research article’s storyline and select a journal to effective communication with co-authors and detailed step-by-step revision instruction
- guidance in structuring the whole writing process to get organized and achieve optimal writing productivity
- opportunity to ask questions and get help with individual issues in regular Q&A rounds (weekly in the preparation & revision phase, daily during the two weeks of drafting)
- facilitation of peer support among the participants including moderated peer feedback training for additional motivation, support and reciprocal text feedback
- individual trainer support through one-on-one consultations and text feedback contained in the “individual support” package
The course is best suited for both inexperienced PhD students going to write their first research article as well as seasoned scientists frustrated with writing, feeling that their process is ineffective and takes too long. Participants are guided to experiment with their writing strategies, learning how to optimize their writing process and progress faster.
Choose a course variant according to your needs
Group support package
- access all materials & group live sessions
- course fee 349€ incl. VAT
Individual support package
- places are limited
- get individual trainer support in five one-on-one consultations:
- one consultation during the preparatory phase (45-60min)
- three consultations during the drafting phase (3x 30min)
- one consultation with text feedback on the whole manuscript in the revision phase (45-60min)
- course fee 986€ incl. VAT
Open for registration until January 15, 2021
Course start: January 18, 2021
4 weeks: Jan 18 — Feb 12, 2021
Participants select & finalize figures and tables, create a storyline, select a journal, write a preliminary Abstract, and learn about effective writing strategies. The provided information is complemented with weekly Q&A sessions.
2 weeks: Feb 15 — 26, 2021
Participants write the first draft of their manuscript. This part runs in daily 4-hour live online sessions, which start with a freewriting warm up and finish with a Q&A session. The coffee break in the middle of each session can be used for further questions and (live online) networking.
|08:45 — 09:00||Warm up|
|09:00 — 10:30||Writing|
|10:30 — 11:00||Coffee break|
|11:00 — 12:30||Writing|
|12:30 — 13:00||Q&A|
*Schedule in Central European Time (UTC+1). In case of sufficient interest, additional 4h drafting sessions can be offered at a different time, to suit the needs of participants from different time zones.
4 weeks: March 1 — 26, 2021
Participants revise their manuscript and get it ready for journal submission. The step-by-step revision instructions are complemented with weekly Q&A sessions and moderated peer feedback training.
About the trainers
Dr. Martina Michalikova is a biologist and computational neuroscientist who obtained her doctoral title in 2016 from the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. During her PostDoc period she acquired further qualification as a writing consultant specializing in scientific writing in English as a second language. Since 2017, she is working as a freelance trainer in scientific writing & publishing, giving workshops, leading writing groups, and providing individual writing support as a coach & consultant.
Dr. Kerstin Minnich is a biologist who obtained her doctoral title in Human Biology at the Ulm University Hospital, followed by a postdoctoral research period at the Leibniz Institute on Aging in Jena in the fields of endocrinology, immunology and cancer biology. In 2016, she founded the editing service LIFE SCIENCE WRITING. Additionally, she completed a writing consultant training at the University of Education Freiburg. Besides editing scientific texts, she is now working as an individual writing coach and giving workshops on scientific writing for students, PhD candidates and postdocs in life sciences.
I learned SO MUCH! Now I know how to get organized and write a manuscript in a short time.
I strongly advice other colleagues to join the course. I saw myself doing within 5 days things that I would never have been able to do within a month!
I took home that there are so many helpful things that could be implemented within the department / groups like more structured revising / correcting of papers, regular peer feedback rounds or writing sessions.